The former Mullumbimby Hospital site is rare flood-free land in Mullum.
We are looking at ways to use the site with a mix of housing and other community facilities and services.
Multiple parts are needed to achieve this including:
- Remediation works - Completed.
- A Site Strategy and Urban Design Protocol - adopted by Council in December 2022 to guide the project, informed by the Project Reference Group recommendations.
- A Planning Proposal - developed based on the Site Strategy and Urban Design Protocol, and proposes changes to zoning, land uses, and building height.
- An Enquiry by Design process - to develop detailed Concept Plan options.
- Community input - We've been checking in with the community throughout this journey. More community consultation will be carried out as part of the Planning Proposal and Concept Plan options.
Find out more about these stages and how you can get involved below.
Enquiry By Design
We recently held a community feedback session which fed into an Enquiry by Design workshop.
The purpose of the workshop was to develop detailed Concept Plans with:
- Community representatives
- Indigenous groups
- Community housing providers
- State government
- Collective and committee members
Once drafted, we'll ask the community for feedback on the Concept Plan options and feasibility assessments.
Once Council has endorsed the preferred Concept Plan, this will be the basis for a Development Control Plan chapter.
We submitted the Planning Proposal to the state government which is now being updated following their feedback.
Once the updated version is accepted by the state government, it will have an extended exhibition for community feedback. Feedback will then be reported to Council in early 2024.