By 2030, the north coast region of New South Wales, is predicted to be significantly affected by:
- warmer temperatures,
- an increased number of high temperature days,
- decreased rainfall during winter,
- increased average of severe fire weather days, and
- an increase in severe storms.
Climate Change Mitigation
Mitigation addresses the root causes of climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
We have committed to:
- Achieving 100% net zero emissions for Council operations by 2025 in collaboration with Zero Emissions Byron.
- Becoming certified under the Climate Active Carbon Neutral Standard by 2025/26.
We have achieved:
- Sourcing 100% of Council's energy needs through renewable energy within 10 years (2027).
View our current emissions profile for Council operations in the most recent emissions inventory report.(PDF, 796KB)
Community organisation Zero Emissions Byron (ZEB) has set the ambitious goal of achieving net zero emissions for the whole of the Byron Shire by 2025. Council supports ZEB’s goal and we will continue to advocate and assist our community to reduce emissions. Reaching net zero will require ongoing commitment from residents, businesses and other levels of government.
Climate Change Adaptation
Adaptation is a planned, proactive response to climate change or a reactive adjustment to climate change impacts.
In October 2018, Council declared that we are in a State of Climate Emergency that requires urgent action by all levels of government, including local councils.
Find out more about how we plan to mitigate and adapt to climate change.
Climate Change Strategies and Plans