Register Your Pet & Microchipping

Dog and cat


Cats and dogs must be microchipped and registered. This ensures your pet has the best chance of being returned if it is lost.

Find out more about when and how to do this.

You can also find out about the RSPCA NSW funding for free desexing and microchipping as part of the Keeping Cats Safe at Home project.


Microchipping is compulsory in NSW. All cats and dogs are required to be microchipped before being registered.

Animals are to be microchipped by:

  • 12 weeks of age
  • at a point of sale
  • change of ownership (whichever occurs first).

Microchipping is carried out by a vet.

Microchipping enables vets and other animal workers to reunite pets with their owners. The microchip can be scanned to reveal all of the owners information supplied at the time of microchipping.

If you change any of your details, it is important that you let us know by emailing email so changes can be made to your pets microchipping details.

Register your pet

More information on registration is available from the Office of Local Government

You must keep the registration details up to date. You can do this on the NSW Pet Registry.

NSW Pet Registry

The Pet Registry is an online database of microchipped and registered cats and dogs that live in NSW. The register has been developed to return lost pets to their owners and to promote responsible pet ownership in the community.

Owners are encouraged to create an online profile to claim their existing pets and to register ownership of any new cats and dogs. Online access to the register will give you access to:

  • update your contact details,
  • report your pet missing
  • change the owner of pets.

Create an owner profile with the NSW Pet Registry.

The quickest and easiest way for the right information to be included on the NSW Pet Registry is to create an online profile. But if you need, you can download and submit forms at Council offices.

Download forms from the NSW Pet Registry

Registration fees

View the current Registration fees that apply.

Concessions may be available.

Claim a concession

To claim a concession on your registration fee, you must have evidence of the following:

  • Desexing: A certificate of sterilisation from your vet.
  • Breeder membership: If the animal owner is a registered breeder, a copy of their membership from an approved organisation.
  • Assistance animal: If the animal is an assistance animal, evidence of assistance animal registration from an approved organisation. For information on laws for assistance animals see Assistance Animals - Office of Local Government NSW
  • Pension: If the animal owner is a pensioner, a current government pension card.