Book an inspection

Building or subdivision works need to be inspected during construction. This ensures the works meet regulatory requirements. 

All inspections MUST be booked online using the form below.

If Council is your Principal Certifying Authority (PCA) you will need to book the relevant inspections. We will notify you in writing of the mandatory and other inspections required for the development.

Book an inspection

Information required to book an inspection

You will need the following information to complete the online booking:

  • Date of inspection – before 12pm the day before you would like your inspection
  • Type of inspection (see below)
  • Name and contact phone number
  • Address of property to be inspected
  • Relevant application number.
  • Advice if there is mobile reception available at the site. 
  • Use the form to upload any certification documents required (optional). 


  • Work must be ready at the time of the inspection, otherwise re-inspection fees may apply
  • If no one is going to be onsite at the time of the inspection, access must be available for the inspector.
  • Dogs must be tied up.

How do I know the result of the inspection?

A report will be emailed to the nominated contact person advising the result of the inspection. If the inspection has failed, it will contain details of the required rectification work. You will be required to have the works re-inspected or provide any required documentation before you proceed with construction.

Mandatory inspections

There are a number of mandatory inspections that must be carried out by your PCA. If these inspections are not completed, you may not receive an occupation certificate. It is an offence to occupy a building without an Occupation Certificate and an Occupation Certificate may be requested when selling your property.

Your PCA may also request additional inspections; these are usually nominated in your PCA agreement. The mandatory inspections required by the legislation are listed below and are dependant on the type of building you are constructing.

Residential work - Class 1 & 10 buildings

Examples include dwellings, alterations and additions, garages, carports, swimming pools, etc. The mandatory inspections are:

  • Footing
  • Slab and other steel reinforcement
  • Frame (including floor)
  • Wet area waterproofing
  • Stormwater
  • Pool fencing
  • Final / completion

Multiple dwellings - Class 2, 3 & 4 buildings

Examples include multi unit developments, and residential components of commercial or industrial buildings. The mandatory inspections are:

  • First footing inspection
  • Wet area waterproofing
  • Stormwater
  • Final / completion.

Commercial and Industrial Buildings Class 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 buildings

Examples include offices, shops, factories and commercial buildings. The mandatory inspections are:

  • First footing inspection
  • Stormwater
  • Final / completion

Note: Council as your PCA may nominate additional inspections to ensure the building/works upon completion are fit for occupation/use.

Final Inspection

When all building works have been completed, you will need to book a final inspection. Once the final inspection has been completed and passed, an Occupation Certificate will be issued. The Occupation Certificate authorises the occupation of the building and may be requested when you are selling your property.

Inspections and COVID-19

It's still important that extra precautions are taken when officers are on site carrying out inspections, including:

  • Adhere to current advice from in relation to Social Distancing from the NSW Health Department and keep a good distance between yourself and Council officers.
  • If anyone on-site is unwell, please ensure they are not present while Council officers are carrying out inspections.

If your site has any protocols in place for working through the COVID-19 pandemic (ie. enter through side gate only), please include these in the ‘Comments’ section when completing the online form.