Do I need approval?

Before you start any development or building works you will need to check what approvals are needed.

Getting advice early can save you time and reduce costs.

Check out our range of development advice services to help you get started. 

  1. Development advice services
  2. How to prepare a Development Application
  3. How to lodge a Development Application (including Modifications and Reviews)

Building approval

All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards.

There are different pathways for getting building approval: 

  1. Lodge a development application with Council, then get a Construction Certificate from Council or an Accredited certifier.
  2. For more minor works, get a Complying Development Certificate from Council or an Accredited certifier.
  3. Certain types of small-scale development, building work and changes of use, may be classed as Exempt Development and will not need approval. 

Who can certify the building work?

Property owners can choose the following to be your Principle Certifying Authority:

The Principle Certifying Authority:

  • Ensures you comply with the consent conditions, building codes and relevant legislation. 
  • Issues the Construction or Complying Development Certificates.
  • Conducts inspections and provides advise about any outstanding work
  • Issues the Occupation Certificate.

If using a private certifier, you must complete and return a Notice of Commencement application form before works start.

Exempt and complying development

Depending on your development type, you may not need approval.

Check to see if your development is Exempt or Complying development

Other approvals