Lodging a development application to raise a house

Information about what you need to lodge a development application to raise a house.

Once you've got together the below information you can lodge your development application on the NSW Planning PortalRead more about the Development Application process


Including the following plans will help the assessment of your development application. All plans must:

  • be drawn to scale at either 1:100 or 1:200.
  • include a north point.
  • Include and relevant street names and addresses.

1. Survey Plans

Complete the survey plan first as it will help prepare the other plans. 

Survey plans must be prepared by a registered Surveyor and show the location of the:

  • existing dwelling
  • property boundaries
  • driveways
  • sheds
  • existing infrastructure including water and sewer mains, power, telecommunication and stormwater
  • vegetation 
  • height of the existing ground level Measured to the Australian Height Datum 
  • floor height of the existing house 
  • height of the roof pitch. 

2. Site Plan

The site plan must show the location of:

  • the raised house 
  • driveways 
  • anything else proposed as part of the DA.

3. Elevations

All four elevations of the dwelling are required, and should show:

  • proposed floor level height of the dwelling
  • floor level of any garage if proposed underneath the dwelling. 
  • building height plane to demonstrate how the development complies with the relevant provisions under Chapter D1.2.1 of Development Control Plan (DCP) 2014(PDF, 849KB)
  • overall height of the dwelling noting that most residential areas have a maximum height limit of nine metres measured from the existing ground level.

4. Floor plans

Floor Plans must show the internal layout of the dwelling such as: 

  • bedrooms
  • bathrooms
  • laundry
  • living areas.

5. Sections

Section plans must show a minimum two cross sections should be provided. Any encroachments into the Building Height Plane should also be drawn on these sections.

6. Shadow Plans

Shadow plans for: 

  • 9am
  • 12 noon
  • 3pm
  • Midwinter
  • Mid-Summer.

7. Statement of Environmental Effects

A Statement of Environmental Effects is a written description of the proposed development. This provides extra information about how:

  • the development complies with the planning controls 
  • to mitigate against any environmental impacts. 

Refer to Preparing a Statement of Environmental Effects.


Other issues to consider

Acid Sulfate Soils

Areas within the flood plain are likely to contain potential acid sulfate soils. 

The depth of excavation for footings and new services will dictate whether any detail is required to be submitted with the DA and to address Clause 6.2 of Byron Local Environment Plan 2014.

Ground floor areas

Adding living areas to the understorey of a raised house is discouraged in flood prone areas. This area should be left for parking, a laundry and limited storage above the flood planning level. 

Flooring should be concrete and tiles with limited moisture expansion.

The understorey must be constructed of flood compatible materials and left unclad. It can be covered by solid timber slats or similar, to enable the free flow of flood water. 

For more information see Chapter C2 Areas Affected by Flood - Development Control Plan 2014.

Applications which include for example, large, enclosed storage areas or additional bathrooms, will be questioned and the assessment and determination of the DA may be delayed or refused.

Minimum Floor Levels

We normally require minimum habitable floor levels to be at least 0.5m above the estimated 1% Annual Exceedance Probability (AEP) or 100-year Average Recurrence Interval (ARI) flood level, with consideration of climate change, for the site. 

This minimum level is called the Flood Planning Level (FPL).

For more detail see Chapter C2.3.2 Areas Affected by Flood - of Development Control Plan 2014(PDF, 2MB)

We also require non-habitable floors to be at or above the 5% AEP (20-year ARI) flood level to provide a reasonable level of protection to these areas.

Non habitable floor example:

  • Garage
  • Carport
  • Shed
  • Laundry
  • Bathroom.

You can apply for a flood information certificate if you are in an area that has an adopted flood study or flood management plan. This provides information for your property on flood levels and the 2050 and 2100 FPL. 

See Flood Information Certificates

For other areas, you may need to engage a suitable qualified engineer with experience in flood assessments to determine the appropriate flood heights and minimum floor level. 

See section Chapter C2.3.5 Areas Affected by Flood - of Development Control Plan 2014

Consultation with Neighbours

 The Development Application will be notified and exhibited in line with our Community Participation Plan.

Discuss your proposal with your immediate neighbours and show them your draft plans for the development before your formally lodge the DA with Council. 

They may have suggestions that can be included in the plans to limit impacts from overshadowing and overlooking.

Building Code of Australia

Some older dwellings have not been constructed to comply with minimum setbacks under the Building Code of Australia for a variety of reasons including historical errors with the set out of the house when first constructed. 

Eaves and the actual house may encroach into a neighbour’s property. 

Raising the house provides an opportunity to resolve such issues to ensure minimum setbacks (900mm) to side and rear boundaries are provided.


If your building works have a value of more than $50,000, you will need a BASIX certificate to lodge with your application on the Planning Portal.

The NSW Government Building Sustainability Index (BASIX) assesses water and energy efficiency of new building work, including alterations and additions. Further details on this requirement can be found on the NSW Planning Portal.


If your property is on Bush Fire Prone Land you may need a Bush Fire Assessment Report depending on the proposed scope of works.

Further details on this requirement can be found on the NSW Rural Fire Service website

Site Waste Management plan

If your proposal involves demolition and removal of construction waste, you may be required to prepare a site waste management plan.

This is a written document, that outlines measures to minimise and manage waste generated during various stages of a development, including demolition, construction and ongoing use of the development.

Visit the Site waste minimisation and management plan page on our website for more information.