Working with Byron Shire Council, you can have a direct impact on the community and the environment.
We provide a wide range of career paths, from corporate to community services to infrastructure and environment, and everything in between!
We also offer opportunities for trainees and apprentices, so if you are looking to take your first step into work and are keen to learn there are opportunities for you here.
Find out more about the great benefits of working for Byron Shire Council.
Byron Shire offers pristine beaches, diverse lifestyles, a magnificent natural environment and subtropical climate. This natural beauty and the relaxed atmosphere make Byron a great place to work and play. Read on to find out about the many other great benefits of working for Council.
- Working week: full-time employees work a standard 35 or 38 hour week.
- Annual Leave: Four weeks of paid annual leave/year, with pro-rata available for part-time employees.
- Long Service Leave: Payable after five years of service in NSW Local Government.
- Flexible work hours: Generous flex-time system for full-time 35 hour/week employees.
- Rostered Days Off: Fortnightly Rostered Days Off for 38 hour/week employees.
- Flexible working arrangements: Council is supportive of various flexible working arrangements which may include time in lieu, leave without pay, part-time work, job-share arrangements, variations to ordinary hours and phased retirement.
- Carer’s Leave: Sick leave entitlements can be used as Carer’s Leave when required to care for family members and relatives.
- Paid Parental Leave: 9 weeks at full pay or 18 weeks at half pay for employees with 12 months or more service.
- Sick Leave: 15 days paid sick leave/year, with pro-rata available for part-time employees.
- Fitness passport: Discounted gym and pool membership for eligible employees.
- Health and Wellbeing Expo: An annual expo with a focus on health and wellbeing.
- Employee Assistance Program: Access to four free and confidential sessions with a psychologist, for employees and their immediate family.
- Health screening: Access to various health screening initiatives every year.
- Fundraising/charity initiatives: Usually initiated by employees, Council supports a number of fundraising and charity initiatives every year.
- Work Health and Safety focus: Council has a strong focus on the health and safety of all our employees, we provide quality training and ensure employees have a safe working environment.
- Education Assistance and Study Leave: Access to financial support for further studies, as well as study leave.
- Training and Development Opportunities: We offer a range of training and development opportunities for employees to improve their knowledge skills and competency.
- Secondments: We encourage employees to seek opportunities both internally and externally, to further develop their skills and experience.
- Service Milestone Awards and Employee Recognition Scheme: We encourage staff to reflect on their individual and team achievements and provide the opportunity to celebrate on an annual basis.
- Salary sacrifice: The option to reduce your taxable income by salary sacrificing eligible items.
- Rates: Automatic pay deductions if you are a Shire resident (post tax).
- Childcare: Automatic pay deductions (salary sacrifice) if you are using Council’s childcare centre.
- Uniforms: Supplied or subsidised uniform.
- Free financial planning advice: Group and individual information sessions are available for all Local Government Superannuation members.
- Transferred leave entitlements: If you are currently working with another NSW Council, you can transfer your Long Service and Sick Leave entitlements, chat to us for further details.
We employ the best person for the job, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexuality or physical ability.
Having a diverse workforce enhances the quality of decision making and the services we deliver by drawing upon a range of skills, expertise and perspectives.
We are accessible for people with a disability. Workplace adjustments can be made to accommodate specific requirements.
Our values are:
- We lead with enthusiasm and purpose.
- We are open, honest and respectful.
- We foster wellbeing and creativity.
- We achieve our goals and succeed together.
With a staff of approximately 300 employees, we are not too big and not too small – we’re just right! You will have the chance to meet and work with many team members from other departments, developing positive and productive working relationships.