Getting a Subdivision Approved

There are nine different planning approval pathways in NSW. The size and scale of the development determines the assessment pathway.

Visit the Department of Planning website for more information about the different planning approval pathways.

Types of planning approval for subdivisions

Subdivisions generally require you to lodge a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC).

Some subdivisions do not require a planning approval. They may be Exempt Development or Development without Consent. Visit these pages to view checklists for deciding if your development is exempt.

What happens when my Development Application is approved?

DA approval will generally include conditions. The conditions may require subdivision works to be undertaken, which will require a Subdivision Works certificate.

How do I get separate title on my subdivision?

To obtain separate titles for new allotments, the following must be registered by NSW Land Registry Services (LRS):

  • Plan of Subdivision
  • or Strata Plan
  • or Strata Plan of Subdivision. 

A plan of subdivision generally cannot be registered in the land registry unless it has a subdivision certificate issued under the provisions of section 6.15 of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979.

Learn about lodging a subdivision certificate application with Council.