In February 2020, the NSW Government announced $25 million for projects in the Byron Shire as part of its NSW Government Roads and Infrastructure Election Commitment.
One grant is for $20 million to help Council improve its road network.
The second grant of $5 million is to support projects in towns impacted by tourism.
Map of projects receiving funding
Use the map to view the locations of the projects that will receive funding under the NSW Government Roads and Infrastructure Election Commitment.
. The projects are also listed on the page below.
View map in full screen
The $20 million road fund will be split across a number of road improvement projects plus asphalt, reseal and patching programs.
There will be $10.15 million of improvements for:
- Kingsley St (Byron Bay)
- Carlyle St (Byron Bay)
- Lawson St (Byron Bay)
- Bayshore Drive (Byron Bay)
- Fern St (Mullumbimby)
- Stuart St (Mullumbimby)
- Tincogan St (Mullumbimby)
- Main Arm Rd (Mullumbimby – Main Arm)
- The Pocket Rd (Main Arm - Billinudgel)
- Bangalow Rd (Talofa)
The remainder will be split across the following projects:
Visit Managing our roads for more information about fixing our roads.
Support for tourism communities
The $5 million grant to support tourism communities will provide:
- $2.05 million for the Sandhills Estate activation including a new skatepark and recreation precinct linking the Byron Bay Rec Grounds, Main Beach, Tennyson St, Massinger St and Byron St.
- $1.57 million for completion of the Byron Bay to Suffolk Park cycle path
- $945,000 for formalising South Beach Road (near Surf Club), Brunswick Heads.
- $435,000 to improve public facilities at Byron Bay’s Main Beach.