Open Air Burning & Garden Waste

burn resize.jpg

You need a permit to burn off in rural areas during bush fire danger periods.

The Bush Fire Danger Period for Byron Shire starts 1 September 2023.

A fire permit is required to carry out open-air burning at any time in urban areas.

Fire permits are issued by the Rural Fire Service:

Burning garden waste

Burning off contributes to greenhouse gasses, releasing carbon dioxide from vegetation and soils and sending it into the atmosphere.

Our Burning of Garden Waste Matter Policy aims to minimise air pollution and protect our health.

The need to burn off in urban areas has been dramatically reduced with the new green organics bin collection service.

Before burning green waste

  • Ensure any timber is dry, not green.
  • Attend fires at all times when alight and ensure extinguished when left.
  • Begin with a small fire and gradually add to it, rather than burn large stockpiles at once.

Do not burn:

  • Treated timbers.
  • Tyres.
  • Paints.
  • Solvents.
  • Unnatural materials.

The Protection of the Environment Operations Act allows Council to take actions if illegal materials are burnt, or the air pollution from a fire (with or without permit) is having or likely to cause serious discomfort or inconvenience to any person. 

See Report an issue with chimney smoke or open fire