Local government elections

1. Overview

Local Government elections were held on Saturday 10 September 2016.  

The date for the next ordinary election of councillors is the second Saturday in September 2020. 


Visit NSW Electoral Commission for information regarding the elections.


View the results for Mayor

View the results for Councillors

2. Conduct of Election

The NSW Electoral Commission is contracted by Council to conduct the election on our behalf. The Commission appointed a Returning Officer to administer the election process.

For the last local government election, both Byron Shire Council and Ballina Shire Council shared a Returning Officer, who was based in Ballina. 

3. The electoral process

Local Government elections and by-elections are conducted in a legal environment in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government 1993 and the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005.

The NSW Electoral Commission (NSWEC) is responsible for the conduct of all Local Government elections to ensure that the elections are conducted independently and impartially. 

An independent Returning Officer is appointed by the NSWEC to each council area to conduct the election on behalf of and under the direction of the Electoral Commissioner.

The Electoral Commissioner appoints the polling places for council elections and the Returning Officer appoints the election officials.

Each council is required by law to meet the costs of the conduct of its election.  The NSWEC works with each council to establish agreed service levels.

4. Funding and Disclosures

Local government candidates and councillors are required to make disclosures to the NSW Electoral Commission for political donations and electoral expenditure.  Copies of the disclosures are published on the NSW Electoral Commission website at this location

5. State and Federal elections