Federal Village Masterplan
Watch the Federal Village Masterplan video on Vimeo
Have your say on the vision and principles
Following community feedback in June 2021, the Federal Village Masterplan Steering Group have developed a Vision and set of guiding Principles.
The Steering Group has developed two options and would like to know which you prefer. The most popular option will be included in the final Federal Village Masterplan.
Visit Federal Village Masterplan on Your Say Byron Shire to vote for your preferred option.
About the Federal Village Masterplan
The new Federal Village Masterplan will be a roadmap for sustainable development in and around Federal village. It will be created through a community-led planning process.
With its beautiful hinterland location, park and popular cafés, Federal has experienced increases in visitation and also in development application activity.
Its 700-person-village supports a growing population in surrounding areas and current infrastructure faces challenges in dealing with increases in population, traffic, tourism and developments.
The Masterplan created by the Federal community will establish a shared vision to ensure a future that addresses the needs and issues of its residents and the environment, for the next 20 years. It will provide a formal document for prioritising actions that align with the vision, to guide future planning documents and funding priorities.
Community engagement and consultation began in March 2021 and has included:
- expansion of the Steering Group from eight to ten members, through a submission process, ensuring more community voices are part of the Masterplan process. See list of members below.
- close to 300 hours of physical movement data collection by 25 community volunteers over a month.
- a door-to-door in-person survey focussed on movement and access around the village, with approx. 200 households.
- an online survey , open for 4 weeks, to ensure the ideas and concerns of community are heard.
- a Listening Post in Federal Park, which was held on Saturday 13 March.
- automated traffic counter data collection in Federal Village with traffic counters placed on all four access roads over a month.
- creation and distribution of flyer/poster.
- detailed analysis of all of the above to go into report to community and Council by mid-May 2021.
- organisation of a series of community meetings to be held in June and July - see further details below.
Thank you for turning out in such numbers and with so much heart to our first community meetings. Your enthusiasm is really confirming and encouraging to us and to those within Byron Shire Council supporting our planning process.
More community meetings are planned for October. Visit Eventbrite to see dates and times and to book a place.
The Masterplan's Steering Group
Communities know what they need most. The Federal Community Centre and the Federal School of Arts Association have joined forces to establish a Federal Village Masterplan Steering Group to coordinate the development of the Plan.
The Federal Masterplan process is a test of community-led planning - a new way of doing things - that could be a framework for the whole Shire.
You can join the Steering Group or a working group (as they are announced), if you have time and expertise - email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Steering Group members are as follows.
- Gary Haughton, President Federal Community Centre
- Toni Appleton, Secretary Federal Community Centre
- Megan Passey, Federal School of Arts Association Inc Management Committee member.
- Alan Goldstein, President Federal Film Society/Treasurer Federal Community Centre
- James Mayson, President Federal Landcare/ Federal Community Centre committee member
- Julie Lipsett, Federal Loves Refugees founder/ Federal Community Centre committee member/Byron Shire Council Public Arts Panel
- Ant Solomon, Federal Community Centre committee member
- Megan Louis, Federal Community Centre committee member
- Jenna Reed Burns, background in heritage conservation, writing & editing and landscape design
- Peter Gerard, special interest areas of Landcare and disability/inclusion.
The Masterplan's areas of focus
Identified by the Steering Group and gathered from community feedback over the last few years.
- Traffic: To design a safer flow of traffic in Federal Village for pedestrians, push bikes and vehicles, and to assess the capacity of access roads (into the village) to meet future demand
- Green Public Space: To maintain and enhance Federal park, and add common green spaces in the village and surrounds, which supports our lifestyle, recreation and environment.
- A Living Village: To develop a framework for future development which enhances the liveability of Federal Village and surrounding areas it services.
Federal Village Masterplan Study Area
- Focus Area – includes the Federal Village RU5 (Village zone) and the adjacent R5 (Large Lot Residential zone) properties. This area is the main focus for the project.
- Context Area – surrounding village impact area, incorporating the four main access roads.