Rural functions and weddings
Our planning controls to regulate rural functions and weddings came into effect on 7 August 2020. We thank our community for their engagement, feedback and interest in the process of developing the controls, since 2018.
The controls will help to provide a level of certainty for the events industry while protecting the rural amenity of neighbourhoods.
Development application process
A development application will need to be submitted to permit a function centre on land regularly used for functions within the RU2 Rural Landscape Zone.
Development cannot be for the purpose of a:
- convention centre
- exhibition centre
- music festival.
Approvals are not required for ‘one-off’ private events.
Consent may be granted subject to a number of provisions and considerations including:
- No more than 20 events can be held at the function centre in any 12 month period.
- No more than 150 guests are permitted to attend any event.
- No more than 1 event can be held at the function centre on any one weekend.
- Events will not result in disturbance of neighbours or negative impacts on the rural amenity.
- Consent can only be given for a maximum of 3 years (after which a new application will be required).
Find out more about the planning controls