Weed spraying using Weedmaster Duo and Pulse of roadside furniture such as guardrails, will be carried out over the following locations and times, weather permitting.
Gulgan Road - between Fox's Lane and the Southern roundabout.
Spraying will be completed on Monday 19 February, between 7:00am and 4:00pm.
For more information, please contact the Council Depot on 02 6685 9300.
Our bush regeneration team does ecological restoration across the Shire. The work is part of an ongoing program. It includes:
- Replacing environmental weeds with self sustaining native plant communities
- Controlling significant noxious and environmental weeds.
The work locations, chemicals used and application methods are listed below:
- Brunswick Heads dunes (north of Surf Life Saving Club)
- Cavvanbah St Road Reserve, Cavvanbah dunes
- South Golden Beach dunes
- Seven Mile Beach dunes
- Belongil Beach dunes
- Brunswick River Reserve (adjacent to boat ramp)
- Suffolk Park Dunes
- Midgen Park, Suffolk Park
- Skinners Shoot
- McLeod’s Shoot, Coolamon Scenic Drive
- Kohinur Hall, Main Arm
- Pioneer Bridge, Wilson’s Creek Rd
- Huonbrook, Coopers Creek
- Pipeclay Creek, Lagoon Rd Myocum
- Mullumbimby Cemetery
- Mullumbimby Football Club
- Left Bank Road Reserve, Mullumbimby
- Bushland reserves within and around Baywood Chase, Suffolk Park
- Bushland reserves adjoining Cemetery Rd and Lilli Pilli Rd, Byron Bay
- Heathland sites at Paterson Hill, Byron Bay (Ruskin and Paterson St)
- Heritage Park, Mullumbimby
- Yallakool Reserve, Ocean Shores
- Azalea Street Park, Mullumbimby
- Paddies Creek, Bangalow
Operational land – Water and Recycling division
- West Byron Sewerage Treatment Plant, Bayshore Drive Byron Bay
- Vallances Rd Sewerage Treatment Plant, Mullumbimby
- Ocean Shores Sewerage Treatment Plant
- Glyphosate such as Weedmaster Duo
- Metsulfuron-methyl such as Associate, Brush Off
- Wetters/spreaders/penetrants eg. Pulse, Protech Plus
Method of application
Spot spraying using backpack, cut-scrape and paint, scrape and paint, basal bark, stem injection method.
Weed control is conducted by service providers for spot and directed spraying as required. This maintains safety and amenity. This work complies with the Pesticide Notification Plan.
Council-maintained cemeteries in Bangalow, Clunes, Byron Bay, and Mullumbimby.
Parks, reserves and beaches
Parks, reserves and beaches at South Golden Beach, New Brighton, Ocean Shores, North Ocean Shores, Brunswick Heads, Mullumbimby, Byron Bay, Suffolk Park, Seven Mile Beach, Bangalow and Federal.
Contact Gerard Roche 02 6685 9301
Roads and drainage
Council controlled road network and drainage reserve areas throughout Byron Shire.
Contact Works Depot 02 6685 9300
Various groups take part in weed control projects in the Byron Shire. The work is part of an ongoing program, replacing environmental weeds with self sustaining native plant communities and controlling weeds in public gardens.
Groups and locations where spot or directional weed spraying may be carried out on Council-owned or managed lands are listed below:
|Name of group or bush regenerator
|Location of worksite on council owned or managed land
|Bangalow Land and Rivercare
|Paddys Creek, Byron Creek, Bangalow Pool
|Big Scrub Rainforest Landcare
|Booyong Recreation Reserve, Nobles Scrub Recreation Reserve
|Suffolk Park Dunecare
|Dunes along Alcorn Street, Suffolk Park; Midgen Park
|Green and Clean Awareness Team
|Main Beach and Clarkes Beach
|Belongil Beach and Cavanbah St Road Reserve
|Brunswick Heads Dunecare
|Brunswick Heads dunes and Torakina Reserve
|New Brighton Dunecare
|Dunes along The Esplanade
North Head Road, New Brighton
|South Golden Beach Dunecare
|South Golden Beach dunes from Fern Beach Walkway to 200m south of Community Centre
|Yallakool Community Reserve
|Public land at the end of Bay Vista Drive
|Brunswick Heads Landcare
|The Terrace Park, Brunswick Heads
|Friends of the Koala and Brunswick Valley Landcare
|Reserve in Lagoon Drive Myocum
|Brunswick Valley Landcare Inc
|Palm Park to Federation Bridge, Mullumbimby
Saltwater Creek adjacent to Mullumbimby Pool,
Riverside Drive Mullumbimby
Casuarina Street Road Reserve
Mullumbimby Creek, in Mullumbimby
|North New Brighton Dunecare
|North of Park Street beach access, New Brighton
The chemicals used by these groups at the above locations may include:
- Glyphosate 360g a.i/L e.g. Weedmaster Duo
- Metsulfuron-methyl 600g a.i/kg e.g. Brush Off
- Wetters/spreaders/penetrants e.g. LI 700, Protech Plus, Pulse
- Herbidye e.g. Pergasol Red, Simplot Blue.
Council maintains a register for Chemical Sensitive Residents and Organic Growers.
Residents sensitive to chemical herbicide and certified organic growers who wish to be placed on the Register should apply to Council in writing on the official application form(PDF, 88KB).
Details will be kept confidential and only given to authorised spraying contractors for the purposes of notifying applicants of proposed spraying operations.
Council reminds residents that if they maintain their road frontage this will alleviate the need for spraying.
Enquiries: 02 6685 9300