You can download a map of companion animal off-leash exercise areas in Byron Shire.
Dog parks and beaches
Local off-leash exercise areas at our parks and beaches are:
- Tallow Beach: From a point adjacent to Jarman Street, Suffolk Park, extending in a northerly direction to the boundary of the Arakwal National Park. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only)
- Main Beach to Belongil Beach: From a point adjacent to Manfred Street, Belongil, extending in an easterly direction to a point on the western side of Main Beach car park and including Cavanbah Reserve.
- Suffolk Park: Public Reserve, Beech Drive.
- Brunswick Heads: Brunswick Heads access from a point 20 metres south of the Brunswick Heads Surf Club, extending in a southerly direction for 400 metres to the boundary of Tyagarah Nature Reserve. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only. Access from adjacent to the Brunswick Heads Surf Club only).
- New Brighton Beach: From a point 50m north of the Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve boundary and extending northward to a line adjacent to Ocean Avenue. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only)
- South Golden Beach: From a point adjacent to Gloria Street, South Golden Beach, extending in a northerly direction to the Billinudgel Nature Reserve. (Restrictions: Intertidal zone only. Access via Gloria Street).
- Mullumbimby: Heritage Park, Mill Street, Mullumbimby. From opposite Gordon Street to opposite Stuart Street. (Restrictions: Companion animals are prohibited from the area in or within ten (10) metres of the children’s play equipment.)
- Bangalow: Part of the Community land at Ashton Street Bangalow. The area bounded by Deacon Street, Ashton Street and Byron Creek. (Restrictions: Companion animals are prohibited from the area in or within ten (10) metres of the children’s play equipment).
Note: Beach Dog Exercise areas are restricted to the intertidal zone only with dog owners requested to keep their dogs off the dune and dune rehabilitation areas.
Read our Companion Animals Exercise Areas Policy [PDF]
You should always carry bags with you to pick up your dog's droppings.
The owner of a dog that defecates in a public place must immediately remove the dog’s faeces and properly dispose of them.
Dog owners will be served with an on-the-spot fine for the following:
- Dogs not micro-chipped: $275.00
- Dog not registered: $275.00
- Dog not wearing collar and ID tag: $165.00
- Dog in prohibited place: $330.00
- Defecate and not removed: $275.00