Companion animals can be exercised off-lead in a number of places throughout Byron Shire. Companion animals are not permitted in these areas unless under the control of a competent person.
The animal owner can not allow the animal to menace any person or child, or other species of animals while being exercised in any of the defined areas.
The local off-lead exercise areas at our parks and beaches are:
- Tallow Beach:(PDF, 310KB) From a point adjacent to Jarman Street, Suffolk Park, extending in a northerly direction to the boundary of the Arakwal National Park. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only)
- Main Beach to Belongil Beach:(PDF, 279KB) From a point adjacent to Manfred Street, Belongil, extending in an easterly direction to a point on the western side of Main Beach car park and including Cavanbah Reserve.
- Brunswick Heads:(PDF, 360KB) Brunswick Heads access from a point 20 metres south of the Brunswick Heads Surf Club, extending in a southerly direction for 400 metres to the boundary of Tyagarah Nature Reserve. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only. Access from adjacent to the Brunswick Heads Surf Club only).
- New Brighton Beach:(PDF, 414KB) From a point 50m north of the Brunswick Heads Nature Reserve boundary and extending northward to a line adjacent to Ocean Avenue. (Restriction: Intertidal zone only)
- South Golden Beach:(PDF, 310KB) From a point adjacent to Gloria Street, South Golden Beach, extending in a northerly direction to the Billinudgel Nature Reserve. (Restrictions: Intertidal zone only. Access via Gloria Street).
- Mullumbimby:(PDF, 323KB) Heritage Park, Mill Street, Mullumbimby. From opposite Gordon Street to opposite Stuart Street. (Restrictions: Companion animals are prohibited from the area in or within ten (10) metres of the children’s play equipment.)
- Bangalow:(PDF, 308KB) Part of the Community land at Ashton Street Bangalow. The area bounded by Deacon Street, Ashton Street and Byron Creek. (Restrictions: Companion animals are prohibited from the area in or within ten (10) metres of the children’s play equipment).
Note: Beach Dog Exercise areas are restricted to the intertidal zone only. Dog owners are requested to keep their dogs off dune and dune rehabilitation areas.
Owners of animals can exercise their companion animals in a number of defined areas if they are restrained. (On a lead or cord). Companion animals are not to be exercised in the defined areas unless under the control of a competent person and on a lead or cord.
The animal owner can not allow the restrained animals to menace any person or child, or other species of animals while being exercised in any of the defined areas.
The defined areas are as follows:
- Brunswick Heads(PDF, 238KB) - Lot 33 DP7300006 and Lot 36 DP800926 Kingsford Drive Brunswick Heads – Public Reserve and Lot 68 DP851902 Bayside Way Brunswick Heads
- Ocean Shores(PDF, 355KB) - Lot 1454 DP575235 Warrambool Road (known as Devines Hill, Lookout): This Public Reserve area is accessible from the west via Lookout Road and from the east via a walking track off Warrambool Road. The Reserve includes trees and shrub areas with open space at the lookout and road area, suitable for an on-lead dog exercise area.
- Ocean Shores (Water Lily Park and Sports Ground)(PDF, 462KB) also know as Lot 175 DP238456 Orana Road Ocean Shores: Restriction: All dogs are to be excluded from those areas within 10 metres from any playing apparatus provided for the public or park for the use of children and on recreational areas being any place or part of public place for playing organised games.
- Ewingsdale(PDF, 289KB) - Lot 40 DP786291 Brookview Court, Lot 14 DP882879 Citriadora Drive Ewingsdale: These Public Reserves include shrubby areas and are suitable for on-lead dog exercise areas and link several streets that may allow dog walkers to use these reserves and roadways as walking circuits.
- Federal(PDF, 326KB) - Lot 24 DP814436 Coachwood Court Federal and Lot 7 DP263974 Roses Road Federal and Lot 11 DP1003205 Roses Road: These three reserves are linked by tracks, pathways and roads. The walk begins at the track accessed through Coachwood Court that leads to Roses Road where there is a public park. Dogs are permitted in this park on lead excluding those areas within 10 metres of any playing apparatus or food preparation areas. Dog owners can also walk their animals via Roses Road to a reserve and track that leads to Wean Way Federal.
Dog owners will be served with an on-the-spot fine for the following:
- Dogs not micro-chipped: $180.00
- Dog not registered: $305.00
- Dog not wearing collar and ID tag: $180.00
- Dog not on lead (under control in a public place): $330.00
- Dog in prohibited place: $330.00
- Defecate and not removed: $275.00