Pet microchipping and registration

Dog and cat


Cats and dogs must be microchipped. They also need to be lifetime registered. This ensures your pet has the best chance of being returned if it is lost.

Find out more about when and how to do this.

You can also find out about the RSPCA NSW funding for free desexing and microchipping as part of the Keeping Cats Safe at Home project.


Microchipping is compulsory in NSW. All cats and dogs are required to be microchipped before being registered.

Animals are to be microchipped by:

  • 12 weeks of age
  • at a point of sale
  • change of ownership (whichever occurs first).

Microchipping is carried out by a vet.

Microchipping enables vets and other animal workers to reunite pets with their owners. The microchip can be scanned to reveal all of the owners information supplied at the time of microchipping.

If you change any of your details, it is important that you let us know by emailing email so changes can be made to your pets microchipping details.

Free microchipping and desexing

As part of the Keeping Cats Safe at Home project we are a part of, RSPCA NSW is funding free desexing and microchipping via VetLove Billinudgel.

Allocation of the first 30 cats is being managed by two local cat rehoming organisations. These organisations have a large number of stray cats, kittens and domestic cats needing these services.

The program may be extended to the community once this allocation has been used.

A cat is capable of breeding from four months and potentially producing up to 16 kittens a year. Desexing cats makes them less likely to stray, spray or be aggressive and it helps reduce overpopulation. In NSW, the RSPCA, many other large shelters and an increasing number of Councils have also adopted the practice.

Cat owners are reminded that cats must be microchipped and registered and kept indoors where possible. This protects them from being run over by cars, mauled by dogs, poisoned or lost, and helps protect native wildlife from them.

Lifetime Registration

Dogs and cats must be registered after six months of age. They must be microchipped first. 

Register your pet

Alternatively, you can register at Council by visiting us at 70 Station Street, Mullumbimby. 

Registration fees apply.

All applications for registration are to be filled out in full and signed by the animal owner who must be over 18 years old.

You must keep the registration details up to date. You can do this on the NSW Pet Registry.

NSW Pet Registry

Create an owner profile with the NSW Pet Registry. so you can:

  • update your contact details
  • report your pet missing
  • change the ownership of pets online.

Claim a concession

To claim a concession on your registration fee, you must have evidence of the following:

  • Desexing: A certificate of sterilisation from your vet.
  • Breeder membership: If the animal owner is a registered breeder, a copy of their membership from an approved organisation.
  • Assistance animal: If the animal is an assistance animal, evidence of assistance animal registration from an approved organisation.
  • Pension: If the animal owner is a pensioner, a current government pension card.