Citizenship ceremony dates and becoming an Australian citizen
To become an Australian Citizen:
- Visit the Department of Home Affairs website to check if you are eligible. You can also phone 13 18 80
- Complete the relevant application forms.
- After completing the forms, you will be interviewed and your application will be assessed by the Department of Home Affairs.
- Once assessed and approved, your Certificate of Australian Citizenship is sent to Council ready for the Citizenship Ceremony. Generally, it takes three to six months from the time your application is approved to be invited to a ceremony.
Ceremonies in 2023
Our next ceremony is on Tuesday 20 June (venue and times to be confirmed). This event is open to invited conferees and their guests only. Invitations go out approximately three weeks prior to the event.
Other scheduled dates are:
- Tuesday 19 September (Australian Citizenship Day)
- Tuesday 14 November.
About the Citizenship Ceremony
- You must attend a Citizenship Ceremony in your local Shire.
- Dress code is smart-casual. For example, avoid wearing jeans, shorts, and flip flops.
- If you need to fast track your Citizenship Ceremony, you will need to apply through the Department of Home Affairs. We cannot fast-track a ceremony.
Applying for an Australian Passport
After making the pledge, you can apply for an Australian passport. It is recommended to wait at least 10 business days after your ceremony. All passport applications must be submitted through the Australian Passport Office.