Food safety

Food safety practices are essential for the health and safety of our community. To minimise the potentially serious impact on the health and well being of the community, as well as the financial viability of their business, food business operators must ensure that relevant food safety standards and requirements are satisfied at all times.

For detailed information, please refer to the information, standards and fact sheets provided by Food Standards Australia New Zealand and the NSW Food Authority.

Council's Environmental Health Officers carry out inspections of food businesses and enforce compliance with the requirements and standards.

A large proportion of food-borne illness is caused by poor food handling practices. It is extremely important that all food handlers and supervisors have the appropriate skills and knowledge in food hygiene.

It is also important that food premises are maintained in a clean and sanitary condition to minimise potential contamination of food from dirt, grease, bacteria and other substances.

COVID-19 support for food businesses

Council’s Health Officers will be visiting businesses in the coming weeks to check COVID-19 Safety Plans, make sure they are being applied and to answer any questions.

Health Officers will be focusing on cafes, restaurants and other food premises.

COVID Safety Plans can be downloaded from the NSW Government website along with information about how to complete. 

More COVID-19 resources 

Business Notification and Registration

Registering your food premises with Council

All retail food premises are required to be registered with Council and are subject to routine food safety inspections. Details are also required to be updated with Council when a food business changes proprietor.

To register your food premises with Council, please download the registration form below, and send it into us.

There is no fee to register a permanent food business with Council. Council's Environmental Health Officers carry out inspections of food business at least on an annual basis, which are subject to an inspection fee, in accordance with Council's Fees & Charges.

Notification of food premises

In addition to registering with Council, all food businesses are also required, under the National Food Standards, to notify the appropriate enforcement agency of certain information associated with the operation of the business.

In NSW the appropriate enforcement agency is the NSW Food Authority.

Temporary / Mobile Premises

To operate in the Byron Shire, food stalls and vendors are required to obtain the necessary approvals and be registered with Council.

To sell food, drinks or any articles in a public place (e.g. on a road, footpath, public park or reserve), temporary food stalls or drink vendors must have approval from Council under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993. 

Vehicles used for the purpose of mobile food vending will be subject to annual inspections by our Environmental Health officers. 

Mobile vendors are required to comply with the National Code for Food Vending Vehicles and Temporary Food Premises.

To register a Temporary Food business or mobile food and drink outlet with Council, please download the registration form below and send it to us.

Prior to the issuing an approval for a temporary food stall , the applicant must demonstrate that the food stall and the operators of the food stall will satisfy the relevant food safety requirements and standards.

The written approval of Council must be obtained before installing or operating a food stall and Council's Environmental Health Officers may carry out an inspection of the food stall during operation, to ensure that the requirements are being met.

Applications for a temporary food stall are required to demonstrate compliance with the relevant provisions contained in the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2010, the Australian New Zealand Food Safety Standards 2001, and other relevant standards.

For more information please refer to the NSW Food Authority, guidelines for mobile food vendors.

For detailed information about food safety, please refer to the information, standards and fact sheets provided by Food Standards Australia New Zealand and the NSW Food Authority.

More information

Enquiries can be directed to Environmental Health Unit on 02 6626 7000 or

Scores on Doors

Scores on Doors is the NSW food business hygiene rating program that enables consumers to make informed choices about where to eat or shop for food. It drives food safety culture in food businesses and therefore a reduction in foodborne illness.

Scores on Doors gives greater visibility and transparency of compliance by food businesses.

Eating out? Getting food in? Check the Scores on Doors

To help you choose where to eat out or shop for food Byron Shire Council is participating in the NSW Scores on Doors program.

The program gives you information about the hygiene standards in restaurants, pub bistros, cafés, takeaways, hotels, and other places you eat out.

Visible hygiene scores

The program will help you choose where to eat out or shop for food.

Certificates and stickers on display at food premises give you information about the hygiene standards in food premises at the time they are inspected by one of our officers. Council officers check that businesses are meeting legal requirements for food hygiene.

It’s not easy to judge hygiene standards on appearance alone. The Scores on Doors certificates and stickers give you an idea of what’s going on in the kitchen, or behind closed doors.

Consumers can choose

You can check the scores and use the information to choose a business with higher standards. It’s also good to share this information with friends and family.

Scores on Doors ratings recognise businesses with the highest standards and encourage others to improve. The aim is to reduce the number of cases of food poisoning which currently affects around 5.4 million Australians every year.

I'm ALERT Food Safety Training

Council takes food hygiene very seriously and wants to assist food businesses to meet their obligations by providing access to an online training tool  -  I’M ALERT Food Safety. 

This program will provide you with FREE and unlimited online access to food handler training.  The program will assist you and your food handlers to gain valuable skills and knowledge in food safety and hygiene, which will help to ensure only safe and suitable food is produced at your place of business.

It is recommended that all food handlers in your food business take part in this training. I’M ALERT is presented in an interactive and easy to follow format. It is a great opportunity to provide all your staff with free training that would otherwise cost you money and a great deal more in time.

On completion of the training the user can print an acknowledgement form and a certificate that can be kept as part of your staff records.

Do the I'm ALERT Food Safety Training

Please note - I'm ALERT Food Safety Training does not qualify you as a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS).

More information

Enquiries can be directed to Environmental Health Unit on 02 6626 7000 or


Complaints regarding poor hygiene, food handling or unclean premises can be made by contacting our customer service centre on 02 6626 7000

Complaints relating to poor hygiene, food handling or unclean premises for food shops licensed by the NSW Food Authority, such as butchers, should be reported to the NSW Food Authority.

Food poisoning events that impact multiple households should be reported to the NSW Food Authority on 1300 552 406. Council will investigate food poisoning complaints if those impacted are all from the same household.

If you have experienced what you believe is food poisoning, please complete and submit the Food borne Illness Questionnaire.(PDF, 123KB)