It is important to think about the future impact of storms, floods, bush fires and other emergencies. We can all be prepared by having and rehearsing your own tailored plan.
The Climate Wise Ready Check tool will help you to:
- Understand your risks.
- Create your emergency plan.
- Check your home safety.
- Be more aware.
- Explore the importance of networks.
There are also tools available to support businesses.
More information about preparing for an emergency
Know your risks
Start your ready check today and think about the areas we live in and the types of disasters that could affect us.
- Check the hazards in your location
- Check your personal situation.
- Check the strengths and weaknesses of your property.
- Assess your neighbourhood and communication.
- Information for your extreme weather plan.
Plan what you will do in an emergency
Sit down and talk with your family, friends and even neighbours and complete your ready check plan. You can print or save copies. Also think about:
- When to leave, what to take, and what to do with animals? Don't leave it until the last minute. Disasters can happen with little or no warning.
- How will you, your family and neighbours get to a safe place? If separated how will you contact each other?
- How you will protect your pets, important documents and valuable personal items?
- What would you include in your emergency kit? Prepare an emergency kit or visit Red Cross OR SES who have details on what to include.
- Plan how you will escape a fire in your home and practice it with your family.
- Do you have neighbours who may need help in an emergency ?
Get your home ready
Prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance.
- Trim overhanging trees and branches and remove dead and dry vegetation from around the house.
- Clean out gutters and downpipes.
- Secure or put away loose items in your yard or balcony.
- Check the roof is in good repair.
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working.
- Make sure that your home and contents insurance is up-to-date.
The Climate Wise Ready Check tool also includes a home checklist for a more detailed assessment.
More Personal emergency plans are available to help you get prepared.
Look out for each other
Everyone can help each other in many ways in an emergency.
You and your neighbours can work together to prepare your homes, provide shelter and look after pets during a disaster. Neighbours can also often provide help to those who need greater assistance during emergency situations.
If you are interested in starting the conversation around what is important for your neighbourhood or local area please complete the Climate Wise workshop enquiry form
Together we can be stronger together by being prepared, looking out for one another and staying informed.
Prepare your business
A free toolkit to help you get your business ready for disasters in five simple steps.
The toolkit will help you to update or create a business continuity plan to make your business more resilient.
The toolkit has been developed by
- NSW Department of Industry
- NSW Small Business Commissioner
- Resilience NSW
Get Ready Business
Visit the SES website for business emergency recovery information including continuity plan.