Temporary housing options

Find information about informing Council if you want to install a temporary moveable dwelling on a property plus other State Government initiatives including the temporary pop-up villages. 

State Government has made changes to legislation to provide temporary accommodation options for residents displaced from their homes due to the 2022 flood. 

On privately owned land these options include:

  • Extended stays in caravan parks or camping grounds.
  • Installing a movable dwelling.
  • Extension of the two-year exemption period for moveable dwellings.
  • Councils can modify conditions for camping grounds.
  • At-home caravan program (Resilience NSW and Camplify)

On publicly owned land these options include:

  • Pop-up villages. 

Installing temporary moveable dwellings on private land

A moveable dwelling may include a: 

  • tent
  • caravan (including the At-home caravan program by Resilience NSW and Camplify)
  • van 
  • other portable device (on wheels or not). 
  • manufactured home.

Manufactured homes are not preferred on flood prone land, unless it can be moved by a trailer (or something similar) in the event of a flood emergency.

To notify Council about your moveable dwelling

  1. Read the criteria.
  2. Complete the online form to let us know you will be taking up this option. 

Temporary accommodation notification form


  1. Complete the online form to alert Council you will be taking up this option.
  2. the moveable dwelling shall be removed within 2 years after it is installed.
  3. the moveable dwelling shall be maintained in a healthy and safe condition, not negatively affecting the amenity of adjoining properties.
  4. the moveable dwelling shall be relocated off flood prone land in the event of a flood. In particular:
    1. any moveable dwelling with wheels (i.e., caravan or van) shall be maintained in a road worthy condition and be able to be moved at short notice (i.e., have its tyres inflated).
    2. any moveable dwelling with wheels shall have access to a vehicle with a tow bar to facilitate removal in the event of a flood; and
    3. any manufactured home must have a plan in place for its removal in the event of a flood.
  5. the moveable dwelling as adequate provision of reticulated water, sewerage and drainage. Separate approvals from Council may be required for these.
  6. the moveable dwelling shall have installed at least one battery-operated smoke alarm, which is operational at all times.
  7. the moveable dwelling shall not be located on the road reserve and/or public land without Council permission.
  8. the use of temporary accommodation for short-term rental accommodation is not permitted.

Example: Peter and Sue are unable to live in their home after it was significantly damaged in the flood. Peter and Sue can install and stay in a moveable dwelling, such as a caravan, on their own or their neighbours, friends, or family members land (provided they have given owners consent) without Council approval for up to two years while they repair or rebuild their own home. If Peter and Sue wish to stay beyond two years, they will need to get Council approval.

This information is also provided in the Fact Sheet - Moveable dwellings for temporary accommodation(PDF, 372KB).

At-home caravan program

The NSW Government will offer at-home caravans to residents in certain areas who are unable to live in their homes due to flood damage.

These caravans will be located on the resident’s private property and be provided at no cost under a hire agreement, pending a suitability assessment to confirm their property can safely accommodate a caravan.

Initial caravans will be secured through Camplify, an accommodation company that usually matches caravan owners with holidaymakers but which will repurpose part of its supply to provide temporary housing to flood- affected residents.

Ocean Shores, New Brighton and South Golden Beach residents can register for a caravan in person by visiting Resilience NSW staff at Ocean Village Shopping Centre, between 9am and 4pm from Wednesday to Sunday.

Resilience NSW staff will be available in face-to-face settings to assist with information and applications related to the at-home caravans program.

Residents will need to supply:

  • proof of ownership of the property where the caravan will be placed or permission from the owner to place the caravan on their property; and
  • photos to show where the caravan will be placed and the access route. 

For more information Temporary housing for flood-affected Northern Rivers region | NSW Government.



Temporary pop-up villages in the Byron Shire

Three sites in Byron Shire have been identified by the NSW Government as locations for temporary housing for people who had their homes damaged by the floods. 

  • 125 Tweed Street on the remediated former Sewage Treatment Plant site, behind the sports fields.
  • Torakina Road and Kingsford Drive, Bayside, Brunswick Heads. Extended into privately owned land next to and behind Lilly Pilly Preschool.
  • Station Street, Mullumbimby, in the rail lands behind Woolworths. 

Council is working with Resilience NSW to finalise details of lease arrangements which would allow for temporary housing to be erected on these sites for up to five years.

Find out more through the Resilience NSW website Temporary housing for flood-affected Northern Rivers region

The pop-up flood housing in the Byron Shire will be managed by Resilience NSW in conjunction with local community housing providers.

Resilience NSW and Service NSW will be engaging directly with people to determine their level of need and support.

To register for housing support, contact Service NSW on


Council resolved to provide in principle support to the proposed leases of the two Brunswick Heads sites to Resilience NSW at its Planning Meeting on 12 May 2022.

More information