This Planning Proposal was open for feedback until Monday 29 January 2024.
We thank you for your feedback. Nine submissions were received from the community.
A submissions report will be considered by Council at 14 March 2024 Planning meeting.
The agenda for this meeting will be available on our Agendas and Minutes webpage, a week before the meeting.
About the proposal
We are proposing 11 changes to Byron Local Environmental Plan (LEP) 2014.
The changes are following a periodic review to ensure that planning controls are:
- Fit for purpose to meet community expectations.
They include both policy related and mapping amendments.
Policy related amendments
- Ensure that minimum subdivision lot size requirements are applied to community title schemes in Zone C4 Environmental Living.
- Align the floor space ratio for dual occupancies in Zone R2 Low Density, with the floor space ratio that applies to the land.
- Provide increased flexibility for rural boundary adjustments where one or more of the lots is less than the minimum lot size.
- Remove the requirement for dual occupancies associated with rural and nature-based tourism development, to be attached.
- Permit vehicle access via a classified road to rural and nature-based tourism development.
- Remove the requirement that detached dual occupancies need to be located within 100m of each other in a rural zone.
- Increase the floor space ratio for certain land in Suffolk Park and New Brighton from 0.2:1 to 0.3:1.
- Change the zone of certain land in Bangalow Industrial Estate from RU1 Primary Production to E4 General Industrial to reflect the existing use of that land. Floor space ratio and lot size controls of the same land will also change.
- Apply a 9-metre height control to certain land on Ballina Road, Bangalow. This will make it consistent with the surrounding area.
- Correct the zone of certain land in Mount Jerusalem National Park and Billinudgel Nature Reserve. The zone will change from RU2 Rural Landscape to C1 National Parks and Nature Reserves.
- Include an 'Additional Permitted Use Map' for a property at Broken Head. This would allow for four dwelling-houses for a multiple occupancy, with development consent.
Further details about the changes are in the planning proposal document. Maps of where the changes are proposed can be found in Appendix 2 of the planning proposal.
For this planning proposal, Council is the plan making authority.