Michael Lyon was born in Brisbane, went to Brisbane State High School and completed degrees in Law and Commerce at the University of Queensland. He lived and worked in London for seven years as an accountant in industry and completed the CIMA professional accounting qualification during this time.
After a two-year spell living in Germany he moved to Byron.
Michael joined the Byron Greens in 2012 and was elected to Council in 2016 on a platform that included supporting the localisation of agriculture, the clean-up of waterways and transparency in decision-making.
Cr Lyon is one of the Councillor representatives on the following:
- Brunswick Heads Chamber of Commerce
- Byron Shire Floodplain Risk Management Committee
- Coastal Estuary Catchment Panel
- Durrumbul Community Hall Section 355 Management Committee
- Far North Coast Bush Fire Management Committee Finance Advisory Committee
- Water, Waste and Sewer Advisory Committee
- Zone Service Level Agreement Liaison Committee