A temporary moveable dwelling may be installed on privately owned land.
A moveable dwelling may include a:
- caravan (including the At-home caravan program by NSW Government and Camplify)
- other portable device (on wheels or not).
- manufactured home.
Manufactured homes are not preferred on flood prone land, unless it can be moved by a trailer (or something similar) in the event of a flood emergency.
To install a moveable dwelling on private property, read the criteria and complete the online form to let us know you will be taking up this option.
Temporary accommodation notification form
- Complete the online form to alert Council you will be taking up this option.
- the moveable dwelling shall be removed within 2 years after it is installed.
- the moveable dwelling shall be maintained in a healthy and safe condition, not negatively affecting the amenity of adjoining properties.
- the moveable dwelling shall be relocated off flood prone land in the event of a flood. In particular:
- any moveable dwelling with wheels (i.e., caravan or van) shall be maintained in a road worthy condition and be able to be moved at short notice (for example, have its tyres inflated).
- any moveable dwelling with wheels shall have access to a vehicle with a tow bar to facilitate removal in the event of a flood; and
- any manufactured home must have a plan in place for its removal in the event of a flood.
- the moveable dwelling as adequate provision of reticulated water, sewerage and drainage. Separate approvals from Council may be required for these.
- the moveable dwelling shall have installed at least one battery-operated smoke alarm, which is operational at all times.
- the moveable dwelling shall not be located on the road reserve and/or public land without Council permission.
the use of temporary accommodation for short-term rental accommodation is not permitted.
Example: Peter and Sue are unable to live in their home after it was significantly damaged in the flood. Peter and Sue can install and stay in a moveable dwelling, such as a caravan, on their own or their neighbours, friends, or family members land (provided they have given owners consent) without Council approval for up to two years while they repair or rebuild their own home. If Peter and Sue wish to stay beyond two years, they will need to get Council approval.
This information is also provided in the Fact Sheet - Moveable dwellings for temporary accommodation(PDF, 372KB).