Byron Bay pay parking
Pay Parking HOTLINE phone - 1300 811 942 (for exemption permit enquiries)
Report a pay parking machine not working, phone - 1300 308 449
Byron Shire locals and ratepayers can purchase an Exemption. Businesses and workers within the pay parking area can also purchase an exemption. Click on the links below to apply.
If you have a Pay Parking Exemption all you need to do is park, enter your vehicle licence plate and choose the duration of your stay - no more to pay. Staying beyond the time limit can result in a penalty.
For Exemption holders, it’s a paperless system and there is no need to print a ticket and display in your car.
If you don’t have an Exemption, each time you park you will need to enter your licence plate number into the meter, choose the duration of your stay, pay the amount displayed and place the ticket on your dashboard.
Motorcycles (as with any registered vehicle) will also need to purchase an Exemption or pay at the meter.
The Lawson Street north and south car parks are now all day parking and additional all day parking is available at Butler Street Reserve.
New Byron Bay Parking Exemptions
New Exemptions are available if you are a Byron Shire resident (including pensioners), ratepayer, worker oper business within the Byron Bay Pay Parking area (including volunteer organisations).
RENEWALS - when your Exemption expires, you can renew for Exemption here.
Need to change your number plate? Let us know here.
Byron Bay Resident Coupon Holders, you have two options:
1. Do nothing
Keep your current resident parking coupon and continue to use in Council managed off-street car parks as per normal until the coupon expires. While keeping your permit affixed to your windscreen is recommended, it will not be required as once new meters are installed you will need to enter your licence plate at the meter. Under this ‘do nothing’ option, if you choose to park on-street where pay parking applies, you will need to pay the appropriate hourly rate at the parking meter.
Resident Parking Coupon and DO NOT wish to pay to upgrade - you do not need to take any action.
2. Upgrade to a pay parking exemption
This allows you to use both on-street and Council managed off-street car parks. The upgrade fee will be a pro rata fee and will depend on the month you purchased your coupon and the month you pay for the upgrade. We will help you work out that amount below.
If you are a Byron Shire pensioner, you can apply for a NEW twelve month exemption for no cost.
Find out more about the Pay Parking scheme at Frequently Asked Questions.
Key components of the pay parking scheme are:
- A universal $3 per hour parking rate 9am to 6pm seven days per week
- 4 hour parking areas charged at $3 per hour and capped at $10.
- New 260 space all-day car park at the Butler Street Reserve available from 6am to 6pm seven days per week with rates of $3 per hour and capped at $20 per day.
- New all-day car parks at Clarkes Beach car park, Jonson Street (south of Kingsley Street) and on street east of Middleton Street – fees to be capped at $20 per day.
- Byron Shire residents are eligible to purchase an annual parking fee exemption entitlement at $50 per vehicle. There is no cost for residents with a Centrelink card (blue).
- Non-Byron resident workers employed within the designated paid parking area are eligible to purchase an annual parking fee exemption entitlement at $100 per vehicle subject to providing verification of their employment.
- Special provisions for volunteers.