Your green organics bin
Your green waste bin is collected weekly.
Check your next bin collection date
Food scraps, garden waste and other organic matter goes into your green organics bin. Green waste is processed into organic compost and used by local farmers and gardeners to improve soils and produce our food.
No plastic, degradable or biodegradable bags should be placed in your green organics bin.
What can you put in your green bin?
- Food scraps – including leftovers, meat bones, seafood and citrus.
- Soiled paper and cardboard including pizza boxes.
- Teabags and coffee grounds.
- Garden waste – pruning’s, palm fronds, grass clippings, leaves, flowers and weeds.
- Council approved compostable liners, you can buys these from Santos stores, Mitre 10, Coles, Woolworths, IGA Mullumbimby, Bunnings and SPAR in Suffolk Park.
Use a kitchen caddy
You can collect your kitchen waste at home using a kitchen caddy. Either empty your food scraps directly into the caddy, or line your caddy with a Council approved compostable liner or newspaper.
You can get a caddy:
- when booking a new collection service from Council, we provide a free caddy and educational information.
- additional caddys can be bought from the front counter at Council’s Mullumbimby head office for $6.00
- from Mitre 10 or Bunnings Hardware.
Alternatively, you can re-use an ice-cream tub or similar container.