We are preparing to start work on the restoration of the rail corridor in the centre of Byron Bay.
Construction in the corridor will begin in late March and is expected to be completed by the end of June 2021.
Aim of the project
- Open up the area between Lawson Street and the new bus interchange.
- Create a pedestrian and cycling link across the town centre.
- Improve accessibility of this unused area.
- A boardwalk and pathways from Butler Street and the western side of the rail corridor, into the town centre and Railway Park.
- Restoration of the heritage features of the area.
- The rail track will remain in place during this time.
Funding and other projects
The rail corridor project sits within a precinct that incorporates:
These projects represent over $40 million of infrastructure investment in the heart of Byron Bay.