The Byron Bay Bypass is now open.
It is the largest single infrastructure project Byron Shire Council has delivered to date. Project construction commenced in July 2019 and finished in January 2021.
It was proudly funded by the NSW Government.
- $20 million including funding from Growing Local Economies
- $4 million from Byron Shire Council.
The Bypass has been built to:
- improve connectivity and traffic flow between the north and south of Byron Bay
- provide an alternative route that avoids the town centre
- reduce the number of cars in the town centre daily by an estimated 30 percent
- prioritise pedestrians over cars in the town centre (a desire strong expressed by our community throughout our Masterplan process).
The Bypass was approved following a rigorous environmental and planning process. Read more about the Bypass project approvals and view approval documents.
For more information about the Bypass you can visit our Bypass frequently asked questions section.