In 2019, Transport for NSW is building a new Byron Bus Interchange in the rail corridor adjacent to Butler Street, Byron Bay. This interchange will replace the existing bus stop on Jonson St.
The Byron Bay community can provide feedback to Transport for NSW through the NSW Heritage website while designs are on exhibition 17 January - 14 February 2019.
You can also see the plans and designs at the Council office from 17 January - 14 February 2019.
The 'rail precinct' project
The bus interchange is part of a broader ‘rail precinct’ partnership between Byron Shire Council and Transport for NSW. The key projects within the precinct include:
- The upgrade of Railway Park as the heart of the town
- The revitalisation and beautification of Butler Street Reserve so it can continue as passive recreation, car park and market site
- The construction of a bus interchange on the Butler Street side of the rail corridor by Transport for NSW
- The upgrade of the car park in front of the Rails Hotel by Transport for NSW
- The opening up of the neglected rail corridor for passive community recreation and green space.