In 2019, Transport for NSW is building a new Byron Bus Interchange in the rail corridor adjacent to Butler Street, Byron Bay. This interchange will replace the existing bus stop on Jonson St.
The Byron Bay community provided feedback to Transport for NSW through the NSW Heritage website up until 14 February 2019.
Transport for NSW anticipate that works will begin on site prior to Easter 2019. For more information, visit the Transport for NSW project website.
The 'rail precinct' project
The bus interchange is part of a broader ‘rail precinct’ partnership between Byron Shire Council and Transport for NSW. The key projects within the precinct include:
- The upgrade of Railway Park as the heart of the town
- The revitalisation and beautification of Butler Street Reserve so it can continue as passive recreation, car park and market site
- The construction of a bus interchange on the Butler Street side of the rail corridor by Transport for NSW
- The upgrade of the car park in front of the Rails Hotel by Transport for NSW
- The opening up of the neglected rail corridor for passive community recreation and green space.