One of Byron Shire Council’s priorities is the construction of a cycleway from Suffolk Park to Byron Bay.
Creating a cycle friendly town is a key component of the Byron Bay Town Centre Masterplan. The Byron to Suffolk Cycleway will allow our community to roll safely along Bangalow Road, better connecting our outer suburbs and schools to the town centre.
The cycleway will be named in memory of Ben Donohoe, a much-loved local teenager who was tragically killed in an accident in 2010 near The Roadhouse Café.
This project, which is now proudly funded by the NSW Government, includes
Stage 1 and 2 are complete. The remaining stages are scheduled for completion in October 2020.
Detailed designs for stages 3 and 4 will be finalised and made public in July 2020. This will include:
- on-road cycle paths in both directions
- reduced on-street parking on Bangalow Road.
More information about the intended parking changes will be provided in July. There will be no changes to parking until August 2020.
Stage 1 & 2: Beech Drive South to Byron @ Byron
This stage was completed in January 2020 and funded through $500,000 in funding from Stronger Country Communities Fund Round 2.
Stage 3: Old Bangalow Road to Browning Street
- Resurfacing works were completed in May 2020 in preparation for the on road cycleway.
- The detailed design for the project is now being finalised and further information will made available in July 2020.
- The new line marking, signs and crossings for this stage will be implemented and constructed between August and October 2020.
Stage 4: Byron at Byron to Old Bangalow Road
- Road widening and shared path works commenced in May 2020 and will continue until July 2020.
- Detailed designs will be available in July and the project will be finalised before October 2020.
Stage 5: Beech Drive South to Clifford Street
Shared path works were completed in early 2020. Footpath works will be completed in the coming financial year.
Byron to Suffolk Cycleway Overview Map