Byron Shire Bike Plan
Council has prepared a 10 year Byron Shire Bike Plan.
The new Bike Plan will help us to:
- Provide well-located and better connected cycleways and shared paths.
- Prioritise works.
- Enable community groups to prepare strategically-aligned grant applications in the future.
Some of the main improvements identified in the 10-year Bike Plan include:
- Construction of new off and on-road cycle ways, shared paths and road crossings.
- Upgrade existing cycling infrastructure.
- Amendment of road design to support safe cycling.
- Encourage cycling as a fun and healthy transport alternative.
How was the Bike Plan developed?
The Byron Shire Bike Plan used feedback from the community about their experience of cycleways around the Shire. This feedback helped to identify issues and challenges and where improvements needed to be made.
In late 2018, Council invited the community to have a say. This included:
- 700 online survey responses.
- 150 people attended five workshops in Ocean Shores, Bangalow, Mullumbimby and Byron Bay.
- 62 submissions were received.
Thank you to everyone who made a submission and contributed their ideas and feedback to this process.
The Byron Shire Bike Plan was submitted to Council for adoption on 26 September 2019. Council deferred the decision to the October meeting to ensure the community had a chance to review the changes made in developing the final document. For more information see Section three of the plan.
View the Bike Plan documents