Building approval

Before carrying out any building work or renovations, it is important to find out if the particular work requires approval. All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards.

In most cases, you will need to:

Certain types of small-scale development, building work and changes of use of a premises, may be classed as Exempt Development and will not require approval, subject to specific requirements and limitations.

As a property owner it is your choice who you decide to engage as your Principle Certifying Authority (PCA). The PCA is the person or authority responsible for ensuring compliance with the conditions of development consent, the Building Code of Australia, and the objectives of the Environmental Planning & Assessment (EP&A) Act 1979.

A PCA is required to:

  • ensure compliance with the conditions of consent

  • issue the Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate

  • conduct inspections at each required critical stage of construction

  • promptly advise the applicant, after each relevant inspection, of any outstanding work

  • issue the Occupation Certificate.

A PCA can be either a Private Accredited Certifier or Byron Shire Council’s Building Certification Team.

If you appoint a private certifier, Council's role is limited. However, you must notify Council at least two days before commencing works of whom you have appointed as your PCA, by completing a Notice of Commencement application form.

We encourage you to engage Council’s highly qualified Building Certification team to conduct the approval and inspection functions associated with your development proposal.

For further information about our building and development related services contact us on 02 6626 7000.