Building approval


You need to find out if you need approval before carrying out any building work or renovations.

All building work must be carried out in accordance with the Building Code of Australia and relevant Australian Standards.

There are different pathways for getting approval. These are:

  1. Lodge a development application with Council and then get Construction Certificate from Council or an Accredited certifier.
  2. For more minor works, get a  Complying Development Certificate from Council or an Accredited certifier.
  3. Certain types of small-scale development, building work and changes of use of a premises, may be classed as Exempt Development and will not require approval, subject to specific requirements and limitations.


Council's Development Support Officers can help you decide what pathway to take. Visit us at Council's Offices in Mullumbimby or call 02 6626 7025.

Who can certify the building work?

As a property owner, you can choose who to engage as your Principle Certifying Authority (PCA). 

The role of a PCA is to:

  • ensure compliance with the conditions of development consent, the Building Code of Australia, and the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979
  • issue the Construction Certificate or Complying Development Certificate
  • conduct inspections at each required critical stage of construction
  • promptly advise the applicant, after each relevant inspection, of any outstanding work
  • issue the Occupation Certificate.

A PCA can be a Private Accredited Certifier or Byron Shire Council’s Building Certification Team.

If you appoint a private certifier, you must complete and return a Notice of Commencement application form to Council before works start.

We encourage you to use Council’s highly qualified Building Certification team to approve and inspect your development proposal.

For more information contact us on 02 6626 7000.