Mullumbimby water restrictions - level 4 means save more
Published on 03 January 2020
A reminder to all Mullumbimby residents and businesses that level 4 water restrictions are in place for the town.
Level 4 restrictions were brought in just before Christmas after a sharp decrease in the level of Lavertys Gap weir which supplies Mullumbimby with its water.
Byron Shire Council’s Acting General Manager,Phil Holloway, said Mullumbimby residents are very conscious of the environment and it’s hoped they will take on board the serious need to reduce water use.
“We have turned on a connection to the Rous County Council water supply which services half of Mullumbimby and will ease the pressure on Lavertys Gap weir,” Mr Holloway said.
“There are signs at the entrances to town alerting people to the level 4 restrictions and electronic message boards will also be in place next week.
“While the water supply is low in Mullumbimby we only need some heavy rain from storms in the Upper Wilsons Creek catchment to replenish the Lavertys Gap weir,” Mr Holloway said.
Level 4 water restrictions mean:
- No watering of gardens or lawns including new turf.
- No emptying and refilling of pools/spas.
- No water play tools, toys and slides.
- No washing of driveways, paved areas, roofs, walls, windows and paths.
- No car/vehicle washing.
- Topping up and refilling of existing swimming pools and spas is permitted if required to reduce structural damage between 4pm and 9am using hand held hose fitted with an on/off nozzle.
- Washing pets and pet pens with bucket permitted between 4pm and 9am. Use of hoses not permitted.
Level 1 water restrictions are in place for the remainder of the Byron Shire serviced by Rous County Council. For detailed information on water restrictions for residents and businesses go to Council’s website or the Rous County Council website:
For media enquiries call Annie Lewis, Media and Communications Coordinator, on 6626 7320.