Extra bin collections for Xmas 2019/20
Published on 10 December 2019
Byron Shire Council will again be offering extra bin collection services for urban and rural residential properties over the Christmas-New Year period.
From Monday 23 December – Friday 3 January Council will empty all wheelie bins weekly.
This includes red, yellow and green bins for urban households, and red and yellow bins for rural households.
The additional services are recognition that extra waste and recyclables are generated over the festive season, and also to help reduce overflowing rubbish and litter, which is not good for neighbourhoods or the environment.
“In our towns and villages there will be many more bins on the footpaths so we’re hoping people will be able to park in their driveways as a way of helping out our drivers and staff,” Ms Hanigan said.
“We’d also like to remind people to continue to reduce, reuse and recycle right over the Christmas period.”
Bin collection tips
- Bin collections will go ahead on your normal collection day even if it falls on a public holiday.
- In urban areas the green, yellow and red bins will be collected weekly.
- In rural areas the yellow and red bins will be collected weekly.
- Put your bins out the night before your normal collection day. If your bins are not out, we cannot send the truck back a second time.
- Where there is space, place your three bins side-by-side at the kerbside.
- If there is not enough room for all three bins to sit side-by-side, place the red landfill bin at the front and recycling and organics bins at least one metre behind it.
- Park your cars in driveways and garages if possible to give collection trucks more room.
- Take your bins in ASAP after they have been emptied.
- Please be patient with each other and the drivers - there will be lots of bins out and collections times may vary.
For more information contact Lucy Wilson, Resource Recovery Education Officer, on 6626 7077.