Ask your budget questions at information session next Wednesday
Published on 29 May 2018
People will have the opportunity to discuss Council’s draft 2018/19 budget in detail with senior staff and the Finance Advisory Committee at an all day session on Wednesday 6 June from 9.30am.
Deputy Mayor and Chair of the Finance Advisory Committee Cr Basil Cameron said the Community Solutions Panel demonstrated the value of community access to quality information as part of consultative conversations. This new Council initiative gives the community the chance to get in-depth information on budget elements.
“We’re holding our first public access (budget estimates) meeting next Wednesday and I encourage all interested community members to attend,” Cr Cameron said.
“Based on feedback received during our Community Strategic Plan development and recommendations from the Community Solutions Panel, we’ve developed a revised four-year Delivery Program and draft budget to deliver on community priorities.
“Our $130 million budget, including $50.9 million capital works, means we will deliver:
- $18.4 million on road reconstruction
- $4.2 million on open spaces & recreation
- $200,000 gravel re-sheet program
- $200,000 heavy patching program
- $5.5 million bridge replacement program
- $2.1 million upgrade to Railway Park
- $6.97 million for water & sewer
- Expansion to existing solar farms
- Updates to bike and pedestrian & access mobility plans
- Public art strategy
- “Byron model” for deliberative democracy
- Place and precinct plans
The budget is included in the delivery program and is available online at www.yoursaybyronshire.com.au.
- The draft 2018/19 budget includes $50.9 million of capital works
- 55% of the capital budget will be spent on local roads and drainage
- Rates make up 21% of Council’s revenue.
- Grants and contributions for capital purposes make up 22%
- Nearly half of Council’s proposed fees have remained the same. Of those that increased, a third of those are by less than 2%.
The information session will be held from 9.30am in Council Chambers with presentations and Q&A with each directorate:
- 9.30am – General Manager office
- 11am – Sustainable Environment & Economy
- 1.30pm – Infrastructure Services
- 3.30pm – Corporate and Community Services
Community members can pre-register their question at www.yoursaybyronshire.com.au. For more information contact Mila Jones on 6626 7000.