Basil was elected Deputy Mayor in 2013, 2016 and 2017.
Basil is a long time resident of Federal/Goonengerry and community advocate. He plans to give hinterland communities an effective voice on Council, particularly in relation to climate change and creating a sustainable future.
Basil was admitted as a solicitor in 2007 and has been a representative with the Southern Cross University Students Representative Council, Community and Public Sector Union and the Department of Employment, Education and Training.
Cr Cameron has, and continues to be, active on such issues as: the Goonengerry National Park, water demand management, improving bus services and bus shelters along rural roads, TOOT (Trains On Our Tracks), improved mobile telephone services in the hinterland, Landcare and Tourism Management.
Cr Cameron is one of the Councillor representatives on:
- Cape Byron Headland Trust Management Board
- Finance Advisory Committee
- Heritage House and Tennis Court Bangalow Section 355 Management Committee
- Heritage Panel
- Internal Audit Committee
- Local Traffic Committee
- Mullumbimby Civic Memorial Hall Board of Management
- Mullumbimby Showground Trust
- North Byron Parklands Regulatory Working Group
- Rous County Council
- South Golden Beach Community Centre Section 355 Management Committee
- Transport and Infrastructure Advisory Committee
Alternate Delegate Membership