Get a busking permit
All local and visiting buskers need to have a permit to busk in the Shire. The busking permit must be displayed by the artist when they are performing.
Anyone over the age of 18 must have a Council-issued busking permit.
Buskers under 18 years must still apply for a permit, however no fees will apply. Parental approval is also required.
Permits can be issued from Council’s customer service counter in Mullumbimby and are valid for 12 months.
Fees include a one-off application fee of $25, plus $15 for a yearly permit.
Artists can also apply for a one month permit fee of $5.00.
A busking permit allows artists to perform at designated areas within Byron Bay for a maximum of two hours.
- All amplified busking must cease at 10.30pm and no amplified busking is allowed between the hours of 10.30pm and 8.00am.
- Non-amplified busking to end at 12 midnight.
- No busking is to occur between 12.00 midnight and 8.00 am.
- Where electrically amplified sound equipment is used, it must not be powered by mains power or generators. Only battery power from sealed (gel) or dry cell batteries may be used.
- An audition is not required for a permit to be issued.