Get a busking permit

All local and visiting buskers need to have a permit to busk in the Shire. The busking permit must be displayed by the artist when they are performing.

Anyone over the age of 18 must have a Council-issued busking permit.

Buskers under 18 years must still apply for a permit, however no fees will apply. Parental approval is also required.

Permits can be issued from Council’s customer service counter in Mullumbimby and are valid for 12 months.


Fees include a one-off application fee of $25, plus $15 for a yearly permit.

Artists can also apply for a one month permit fee of $5.00. 

A busking permit allows artists to perform at designated areas within Byron Bay for a maximum of two hours.

Busking requirements

  • All amplified busking must cease at 10.30pm and no amplified busking is allowed between the hours of 10.30pm and 8.00am.
  • Non-amplified busking to end at 12 midnight.
  • No busking is to occur between 12.00 midnight and 8.00 am.
  • Where electrically amplified sound equipment is used, it must not be powered by mains power or generators. Only battery power from sealed (gel) or dry cell batteries may be used.
  • An audition is not required for a permit to be issued.