There are practical steps you can take to protect yourself, the people you love and the things you value most in the event of an emergency.
- Know your risk – Think about the area you live in and the types of disasters that could affect you
- Plan now for what you will do – Sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area
- Get your home ready – Prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance
- Be aware – Find out how to prepare and what to do if there is a disaster in your area
- Look out for each other – Share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those that may need assistance
Several agencies provide advice to guide you through making an emergency plan. These include:
NSW State Emergency Services
An online template to guide you through making an emergency plan.
NSW Rural Fire Service
Get to know your risk of bushfire and make a bushfire survival plan.
Australian Red Cross
Start a conversation, create a survival kit or create an emergency plan.
The Office of Emergency Management
Information to help individuals, councils, community service organisations and businesses become disaster ready.
Emergency planning in Byron Shire
Find out more about emergency planning in the Byron Shire.