Byron Shire Council Mayor Simon Richardson recently thanked our volunteers at an awards ceremony in Mullumbimby, to acknowledge the significant contribution they bring to our community.
The efforts of community members who contribute to the betterment of their local community are appreciated and Council acknowledges the personal sacrifices made.
As a volunteer of Byron Shire Council the following conditions apply:
1. Unfortunately no payment will be made to you by Council, unless otherwise resolved by Council.
2. Parking: Unfortunately, Council is unable to provide you with free or reserved parking while completing your volunteer role. Council is unable to reimburse you for parking fees OR pay parking and speeding fines or other driving offence.
3. While acting as a volunteer, a limited personal accident insurance cover will be affected by Council subject to the terms and conditions for the policy.
4. Only while you are assisting Council as a Volunteer and while your assistance is approved/controlled and/or known by Council, you will be covered for Public Liability Insurance.
a) Volunteers who are appointed are covered within the terms and conditions of the Council’s Public Liability Insurance policy for third party personal injury or damage to property caused by an occurrence in connection with the business of the Council.
b) The policy does not cover Volunteers whilst driving their own vehicles. Council strongly recommends that all volunteer staff using private vehicles are covered by their own comprehensive insurance policy.
c) Council does not pay insurance costs for private vehicles and will not cover costs incurred by Volunteers driving uninsured / unregistered vehicles.
d) If the Volunteer requests (eg. friends and relatives) to assist them with their role, their details are to be provided to Council to be covered by Public Liability Insurance while carrying out their task.
5. Should any injury occur to you while you are acting as a volunteer of Council you must notify your Supervisor / Risk Management Officer and immediately, or as soon as practicable.
6. Any incident which occurs in which injury or property damage to other parties may arise must be reported immediately or as soon as practicable to the Supervisory / Risk Management Officer.
7. Under the terms of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011, you must follow all established policies, practices, procedures and instructions of Council which apply to the tasks you have volunteered to perform.
8. You are expected to perform the task you have volunteered to perform with all due care, skill and diligence.