Get a busking permit
Following the easing of COVID-19 restrictions, busking permits are permitted and valid from 14 December 2020. Contact Customer Service on 1300 811 942 to apply or check your new expiry date.
All buskers (local and visiting) need to have a permit to busk in the Shire. The busking permit must be displayed by the artist when they are performing.
Anyone over the age of 18, wishing to busk in Byron Shire must have a Council-issued busking permit.
Buskers under 18 years must still apply for a permit, however no fees will apply. Parental approval is also required.
Permits can be issued from Council’s customer service counter in Mullumbimby and are valid for 12 months.
Fees include a one-off application fee of $25, plus $15 for a yearly permit.
Artists can also apply for a one month permit fee of $5.00.
A busking permit allows artists to perform at designated areas within Byron Bay for a maximum of two hours.
- All amplified busking must cease at 10.30pm and no amplified busking is allowed between the hours of 10.30pm and 8.00am.
- Non-amplified busking to end at 12 midnight.
- No busking is to occur between 12.00 midnight and 8.00 am.
- Where electrically amplified sound equipment is used, it must not be powered by mains power or generators. Only battery power from sealed (gel) or dry cell batteries may be used.
- An audition is not required for a permit to be issued.