Get a busking permit

Council, in line with the NSW Government’s health orders in response to COVID-19, determined to cease busking.

All busking permits suspended until 31 January 2021.

Latest information about support services, facilities and closures

All buskers (local and visiting) need to have a permit to busk in the Shire. The busking permit must be displayed by the artist when they are performing.

Anyone over the age of 18, wishing to busk in Byron Shire must have a Council-issued busking permit. 

Buskers under 18 years must still apply for a permit, however no fees will apply. Parental approval is also required.

Permits can be issued from Council’s Mullumbimby administration centre and are valid for 12 months. 


New busking permit fees were introduced on 1 July 2017.  

The fees include a one-off application fee of $25, plus $15 for a yearly permit.

Artists can also apply for a one month permit fee of $5.00. 

A busking permit allows artists to perform at designated areas within Byron Bay for a maximum of two hours.

Busking requirements

  • All amplified busking must cease at 10.30pm and no amplified busking is allowed between the hours of 10.30pm and 8.00am.
  • Non-amplified busking to end at 12 midnight.
  • No busking is to occur between 12.00 midnight and 8.00 am.
  • Where electrically amplified sound equipment is used, it must not be powered by mains power or generators. Only battery power from sealed (gel) or dry cell batteries may be used.
  • An audition is not required for a permit to be issued.