Together with Cape Byron Headland Trust and the Australian Life Guard Service, we provide beach surf life saving services to specific beaches within Byron Shire Council.
Visit the beachsafe website to find all the information you need to keep informed and stay safe while visiting any of Australia's 11,726 beaches, or download Surf Life Saving’s Beachsafe App.
Surf safety tips
- always swim or surf at patrolled beaches
- Swim between the red and yellow flags. They mark the safer area for swimming.
- never swim, surf or fish alone
- read and obey the signs
- be aware of rip currents (know how to spot one and how to escape from one)
- don't swim under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- never run or dive in the water, even if you have checked before as water conditions can change
- If in doubt stay out
- seek advice from the lifesavers and lifeguards
Professional lifeguard services
*Byron Bay Main Beach
An additional roving patrol member will be provided during:
Surf Life Saving volunteers will patrol Byron main beaches on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays during the 2020/2021 season.
The Surf Life Saving volunteers will patrol Brunswick Heads beaches on Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays during the 2020/2021 season.
Cape Byron Headland Trust
The Pass, Wategos, Broken Head and Tallow Beaches fall under the Management of the Cape Byron Headland Trust.