Before you get a pet
Before you get a pet consider the following:
- Are there likely to be changes in your life such as travel, having children, moving home that may impact your ability to keep the animal?
- Are you willing to care for the animal for its entire lifetime?
- Can you regularly exercise the animal to minimise boredom related problems?
- Can you afford the costs such as vaccination, registration, microchipping, vet bills, food and upkeep?
- Will your partner or family be committed to keeping the animal?
- How big is the place where you live? Has it got an adequate exercise area? Is your yard fenced?
- Have you got particularly sensitive neighbours?
- How big an animal should you get?
- What are the needs of the individual breed? Does it have health problems which could be costly? Is it likely to want a lot, or little exercise? Is it likely to be aggressive? Are they good with children?
- Do you live near sensitive bushland or native species habitat?
- Is this just a fad? Do you really want the commitment?