Byron Shire Council is committed to promoting mutual respect and harmony between Aboriginal and non-aboriginal people in the Shire.
This commitment has been demonstrated by Council's role in facilitating and signing historic agreements including:
1. Memorandum of Understanding with the Bundjalung of Byron Bay Arakwal People 2013
2. Aboriginal Statement of Commitment 2012
3. ABORIGINAL HEADS OF AGREEMENT 1998 Byron Shire Council and the Arakwal People
Indigenous Projects Officer
Council employs a part time Indigenous Projects Officer who has responsibility for promoting Indigenous cultural awareness within Byron Shire by:
- assisting with the development of Indigenous services and programs
- developing closer links between Council and the Indigenous community.
Contact Council's Indigenous Projects Officer on 02 6626 7226 or email council@Byron.new.gov.au.