Safe Summer in the Bay including New Year's Eve and New Year's Day
Safe Summer in the Bay includes the following strategies:
- Soul St NYE - a family-friendly main street event incorporating activities specifically targeting young people
- First Sun NYD - a new year's morning event focused health and wellbeing
- Falls Festival - an event for 18 - 40+ for people who want to party
- Policing support
- A community working group to oversee the planning and implementation
- Council support in providing infrastructure and strategies to mitigate the negative impacts such as increase waste and toilet services, traffic control, risk management and communications to encourage safe celebrations.
For information about the events, please click on the links below.
Soul St NYE
First Sun NYD
Please note, there are NO FIREWORKS or beachfront events on New Year's Eve. Please refer to the map download to see the road closures for both New Year's Eve and New Year's day.
The streets and parks of Byron Bay are alcohol-free zones to ensure a safe and community-friendly atmosphere.
Free parking is available in Butler Street Reserve on New Year's Eve, a short walk from the Byron Bay CBD. Catch a Falls Festival bus along the roads into town for a flat fee of $5. Buses travel along Ewingsdale Rd and between Byron Bay town centre and Suffolk Park. Free shuttle buses are also available for the First Sun NYD event at the Cape Byron Lighthouse. Refer to the event information and road closure map for further information.