Flood clean up and waste

Free flood drop off has finished. Exceptions may apply with prior written approval.  

Please call 1300 652 625 for more information.  

Any items put out on the kerbside or roadside will be considered illegal dumping so it is important that you make contact with us if you need help. 

Rural communities

There is a bin bank at the intersection of Huonbrook and Wanganui Road for residents beyond this point.   

These bins are to share, please do not remove them or swap them from the bin bank.  

Normal servicing has resumed on Thursdays for properties on Huonbrook Road to the intersection.   

 If you no longer have bins, please call the Resource Recovery Hotline, 1300 652 625 to organise replacements.    

Hazardous waste such as paint, oil, gas bottles

Hazardous waste such as paint, oil tins, gas bottles, can be taken to Byron Resource Recovery Centre for free.

Please do not place these items on the kerbside as this poses a public health and safety risk.



Some homes and structures damaged by flooding may contain asbestos.

Asbestos products are generally not dangerous if kept in good condition. If an asbestos product is broken or disturbed in any way, it is extremely hazardous.

  • Do not put asbestos out for kerbside collection – it is a serious health hazard.
  • Contact your insurers to engage specialised contractors to remove asbestos waste if possible. 
  • Do not attempt to remove the product yourself without seeking advice or assistance.
  • Any residential or small business flood-generated asbestos waste should remain onsite in a safe location.

Managing small amounts of asbestos

If you’re unsure whether you have asbestos:

  1. Get an asbestos removal and test kits from Council. It takes five days to get the results.
  2. Safely wrapped and store onsite.
  3. Call the Byron Resource Recovery Hotline 1300 652 625 to book in for this waste to be collected. 

For more information about removing less than 10m2 of flood-damaged asbestos waste, see Managing asbestos in emergencies and disasters

Managing larger quantities of residential or small business asbestos waste

If your property is insured for flood damage, a claim for damages should include the management of asbestos waste. 

For uninsured properties with over 10m2 of flood-damaged asbestos waste, a request for advice can made via Service NSW Property assessment and demolition program 


If you need assistance moving a vehicle on public land, please contact Council’s Public and Environmental Services Team on 02 6626 7107

If you see a vehicle that has been washed away by floods, please report it, and provide registration and a photograph, if possible.