Disaster recovery

Recovering from a disaster takes time and it is ok to ask for help. Staying safe is important and this includes mental and physical well-being. Knowing what assistance is available and where and how to access it will help with the recovery process. 

Resilience NSW will publish information about recovery assistance. More information can be found on the Resilience NSW website.

National Bushfire Recovery Agency

Find out the latest news from the National Bushfire Recovery Agency newsletter or subscribe to the Bush Fire recovery newsletter

Bush fire assistance

Following the 2019 bush fires, disaster assistance is  being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

The Byron Shire has been included in the Statewide Natural Disaster Declaration, made by the NSW Government Department of Primary Industries, Rural Assistance Authority.

This means that Byron Shire residents affected by the bush fires may be eligible for a range of financial assistance from the NSW Government.

Disaster Relief Grants are available, dependent on eligibility.  More information about these grants can only be provided by calling the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line 1800 018 444.

Service NSW can replace personal documents free of charge including birth certificates, marriage certificates, number plates, licences. Visit a Service NSW centre or call 13 77 88.

Local Land Services is assisting with emergency fodder, stock water and assessment of animals. For assistance contact 1800 814 647.

Practical support and guidance