Closed circuit television (CCTV) is used in some public spaces across the Shire to reduce and prevent crime. CCTV footage can also help police to identify offenders if a crime takes place.
The cameras send images to the Byron Police Station where the system can be monitored by the NSW Police, particularly in the event of an incident or at peak times.
The recorded images will only be used and/or disclosed for law enforcement or other lawful purposes. All recorded images that are not part of any ongoing police investigation or court proceeding, or not required for any other lawful reason, will be deleted after approximately 30 days.
Improved lighting and CCTV cameras have been installed in Apex Park and Jonson Street in the Byron Bay CBD.
- Apex Park – cameras 1 to 5.
- Corner of Jonson and Bay Streets – cameras 6 to 8.
- The Balcony, Jonson Street – cameras 9 to 13.
- Taxi rank, Jonson Street – cameras 14 to 20.
- Corner of Jonson and Byron Streets – cameras 21 and 22.
- Railway Park – cameras 23 to 26.
- Transit centre, Jonson Street – cameras 27 to 29.
View a map of CCTV locations(PDF, 4MB)