Community buildings & public toilets
Byron Shire Council is responsible for the asset management of 141 community buildings and 25 public toilets in the Shire.
Council cleans three State-owned (Reflections Holiday Park) toilets in Brunswick Heads. View locations.
How do our public toilets measure up?
Council conducted a community survey about toilets and community buildings from 8 March to 12 April, 2019. The community was asked to rate the performance and importance of condition, cleanliness, functionality, disability access, bookings process, capacity, coast and availability.
Key findings from the survey include:
- The overall condition of the public toilets had an average quality rating of 3.6 (where 1 = Excellent and 5 = Poor). Council's technical condition rating is 3.
- Community buildings had an average quality rating of 2.2 (where 1 = Excellent and 5 = very poor). Council's condition rating is 3.3.
- Public toilet maintenance and cleaning is the key area of public dissatisfaction.
- Brunswick Heads was an area that attracted a lot of negative comments and is the location of the 3 State-owned public toilets (these are due to be renewed by October 2019).
- The public appears to be generally satisfied with the community buildings.
- In the general comments section of the survey, the majority of comments related to the public toilets rather than the community buildings in the Byron Shire.
- There were a number of negative comments on the newer, self-cleaning and unisex toilets.
Read the community engagement report(PDF, 4MB) from the survey.
Since the 2019 survey council has replaced South Golden Beach, Federal Public Toilets and Railway Park Byron toilets. The Crown toilets at Brunswick Heads managed by Reflections Holiday (The Terrace, Banner Park and Torakina Park) have had internal upgrades. Council plan new toilets for Gaggin Park, Suffolk Park, Clarkes Beach, Byron and the Sandhills Recreation Precinct in the near future. Council has a new toilet cleaning contractor which will be closely monitored for performance to deliver the best level of service we can afford.
Click on an icon in the below interactive map to view information about the toilets.