Our Economic Development Strategy, Enterprising Byron 2025(PDF, 2MB) promotes a vision that will set the tone for decision making, entrepreneurship and leadership for the Byron Shire economy over the next 10 years – our vision is for:
“a resilient and diverse economy providing for our community in a sustainable manner.”
Enterprising Byron 2025, aims to deliver on three key objectives for the Byron economy:
- Accelerate employment generation and work creation.
- Create resilient communities and build community capacity.
- Retain and attract industry and private/public investment.
Enterprising Byron 2025 reflects the community values, challenges and economic development priorities found in the Byron Shire Community Strategic Plan 2022 and Byron brand development as well as more recent focus groups and one-on-one sessions with Councillors, staff, industry cluster groups, business leaders and government agencies.
Enterprising Byron 2025 has been developed with a mindfulness of four guiding principles that clearly represent the sentiment of community and the desire to hold true to community values. Economic development activity should:
- Leverage and enhance Byron’s strengths and our emerging opportunities
- Sustain our sense of place, maintaining the integrity of our people and our brand
- Create economic enablers and support sustainable practices
- Show leadership, work cooperatively and seek out collaborative partnerships.
Enterprising Byron 2025 will stimulate action and provide a catalyst for partnerships. The Strategy will continue to evolve and be responsive to innovation, process improvement and global change. In fact, a number of strategy actions have been initiated simultaneous to developing the plan with this in mind.
Enterprising Byron 2025 has a unique delivery framework. Each strategy has a Flagship Project and a series of key activities. Each strategy is also supported by an Attitudinal Strategy, Institutional Strategy and Place-Based Strategy - recognising that sometimes the only thing getting in the way of making things happen is the way we think and react to change.
Enterprising Byron 2025 has nine strategies designed to deliver on the key objectives:
- Foster local business/employer retention and expansion
- Nurture entrepreneurship and innovation for work creation
- Develop industry access to new and expanding markets
- Develop the full potential and capacity of Byron’s towns, villages and rural lands
- Facilitate partnerships with Council and other Government agencies
- Activate workforce development, skills and training for future needs
- Promote an attractive investment environment
- Secure industry competitive and comparative advantage
- Guide and inform investment with good decision making resources.
The Enterprising Byron 2025 Action Plan(PDF, 132KB) details the implementation of the Strategy in partnership with the local community, business and industry, regional stakeholders and State and Federal Government agencies.